I thought I’d check back on my anti-resolutions that I made back in January. To be honest, I’d sort of forgotten about them, except for a spare thought every now and then. So let’s see how it’s been going, shall we?
- Climb a 6a+ on the lead wall without cheating: I am pleased to say that I checked this one off the list only a month or two into 2009. I’m less pleased to say that I’ve fallen out with my normal climbing partner and the people I climb with now are decidedly more beginners than he was. So I haven’t gone lead climbing at all in the past three months, which is incredibly frustrating. Plus, after three weeks away from climbing when I was home, I feel like I totally suck now. I just can’t make the progress I want to when I’m only climbing once a week, but nobody else wants to go more than that. I guess I’ll just have to take what I can get until I move back home!
- Look sexy in a hot dress for Michelle’s wedding: Check! I attended Michelle’s wedding two weeks ago and had an awesome dress that I got a bunch of compliments on. Unfortunately it was entirely wasted on a tiny wedding with absolutely no single men. But that’s ok, I still looked great!
- Flirt shamelessly with a guy much too young for me: Definitely check. We’ll just leave it at that.
- Turn 30 with style: Well I celebrated twice, including a trip over to Belfast. I had a FANTASTIC time and still don’t feel my age. I think I can check this one off.
- Learn to walk in high heels without falling over: Check! (at least so far…)
- Take a Spanish class: Not yet, though there’s a class at the local community college starting in September that I have my eye on.
- Run a 10k in under an hour: Not yet, though I’m signed up for the run in September! Eep!
Our next race is coming up FAST, so after my trip home I’ve been trying to increase my runs so that hopefully I’ll be ready. I joined the gym near my house so I can’t use bad weather as an excuse not to run. (Unfortunately, even though it’s 110 degrees back home, it’s still yucky and rainy here. Though I think I’ll take some rain over 110 degrees, because that’s just kill-me-now hot) The last few days I’ve been doing 30 minute runs at race pace, which I can with entire honesty say have been TORTUROUS. The treadmill pretty much sucks regardless, but add the mindnumbing boredom of it combined with pushing to the limits of my endurance and I am not a happy bunny at the gym these days. I’ve started to really dread going, which isn’t the point of exercise that I voluntarily choose to do in my limited spare time.
So yesterday I decided I was just going to take it easy, run a bit slower and give myself a break. And the most amazing thing happened! I got into my groove and the run was actually…all right. It was, dare I say, almost pleasant. The time didn’t fly by, exactly (though honestly, when does it ever do that on a treadmill?), but I was at a nice easy pace, about a foot away from an open window with a nice breeze, enjoying listening to my cheesy running tunes and actually having a good time! Imagine that!
Now I know to quite a lot of you, this is less of a ‘Wow! Amazing!’ moment and more ‘um…DUH.’ But it was nice for me to rediscover why I started running in the first place. It was great to get sweaty and feel my body working but not push myself so much that I hated every minute of it. I wasn’t worrying about the race, I was just enjoying the run for its own sake. I’m actually looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow, which I haven’t felt in awhile. It’s a nice change.