1. I miss the beach. Since I’m only home for two weeks at a time, I’ve missed going to the beach for the past year and a half. I’ve forgotten how beautiful it is and how nice it is to just go and relax and not worry about anything else. Plus this year I was there for fourth of July, so I got to see the fireworks too! Of course the fog rolled in about halfway through the city firework display so we missed half them, but I still got to enjoy the campfire.
2. I TOTALLY missed the doctor gene. My dad is a doctor and my sister is in med school, but I’ve pretty much failed miserably as sciences since high school. About six weeks ago I dropped the grill pan on my forearm while I was taking it out of the oven. I freaked out, thinking I was going to have a huge, painful burn. While I did have a burn and the entire top layer of skin pulled off (I know, gross, but stick with me here), it didn’t hurt at all! So I figured, it doesn’t hurt, can’t be that bad right? Um, wrong. Apparently when burns don’t hurt, that means they are WORSE burns, not better, because all the nerve endings have been destroyed. Awesome! Thanks dad, for letting me know.
3. I have turned into a total sap in my old age. I was home for my friend’s wedding and I totally cried during her dance with her dad. He chose the song ‘I loved her first’ by Heartland. Sample lyrics:
But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
Now, yes, I know, everybody cries at weddings. But then I saw that viral video that’s been making the rounds, with the bridal party dancing up the aisle to ‘Forever.’ And I laughed, just like everyone else, and then, about four minutes in, I totally started to cry! What is that about?
Since then I’ve also cried while watching ‘Deadliest Catch’ and the breast cancer dance on ‘So You Think You Can Dance’, even though I was totally cynical about it and scoffed at the whole thing, thinking, ‘well, of COURSE everybody is going to love it and go on and on about how meaningful it is, it’s about BREAST CANCER.’ Then everybody is talking and crying and…there I go! Crying again!
4. Apparently I’m still in middle school. So, I still have a teeny tiny crush on my friend’s brother, who I first crushed on when I was 12. In seventh grade. Eighteen years ago. *sigh* Yes, I know how pathetic that is.
5. I love my hometown and can’t wait to get back there. Probably a good thing since I’m moving back there in five months! More on that to come…